Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not. --Dr. Seuss, The Lorax.

Friday, March 18, 2016

Cats. Lots of Cats. And of Course, Let's not Forget the Real World

I am at that point in my college career when I realize that the real world is rife with monotonous vicissitudes. In high school, it was almost easy to get a reputation as a hardworking student right off the bat. It took less than half the school year for me to become known as the smart kid who liked to work. While I did have to prove myself as a 'good student' in later years of high school, the teachers for the most part knew of me already because of my class rank, or had met me before since they were friends with my teachers, taught next door, etc.

In college, it isn't such a small world. Some teachers already liked me, because their co-workers had liked me, but it is not so with college professors. I'm not saying that I expected, or wanted life to be easy, just that I get frustrated having to prove myself so often. September begins, and sometimes it takes as few as four weeks average before the professors see that I will stick with it throughout the semester. I have had a few classes where it has taken all the way to the day of finals for the professor to finally trust that I care about the class. Not that I did poorly in class, I generally get straight As, there is the occasional B, but these professors seem to think that the kids that work hard only work hard so they don't have to take the final, or so they have said.

So yeah. That's my rant. Things this semester have irked me, I suppose. Or maybe I am just anxious to finish this semester, because this May, I graduate with my associate's degree, and then transfer to a four-year university for my bachelors and masters. YAY!!! I am impatient. Can't wait. These last six weeks of community college will fly. Spring break is almost over. And just like that, my high school and community college experiences have flashed before my eyes. Wow. Before I know it, I will have a full-time job, put a down payment on a house, get a dog, get a cat. Discover that I like cats and get another one. Then decide to take things a step further and get a crazy cat lady starter kit with six kittens.... Not really. Just kidding. Or am I?

I will leave on that note, and with my thanks,
--Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment